Tuesday, December 16, 2008

nothing about the mother-in-law

It was possible to stay away from the net for 15 days. I never even once wanted to sit anywhere close to the computer. Coming back, I wondered if I’d remember the system password but my fingers typed it out automatically. So, sometimes the brains are at the finger tips. When you make wrong decisions, trust your brains not to be where it is supposed to be but elsewhere, maybe the toes.

Dad has also come along to stay with us for a while. Mom is retiring soon and she didn’t want to take any extra leave during her last working days. S is all prim and proper with my dad, saying the right things at the right time.

Post retirement, dad has had very few opportunities to wear formal clothes. Most social occasions demand the traditional kurta –pajama or dhoti leaving no room for pant-shirt and suits. I heard he goes to collect his pension and then some transactions in the post office or the bank every month dressed very formally with the car, all sparkling. He came with me wearing a nice suit and a tie. I seldom saw him wearing a tie while he was in service. It was kind of cute.

He was offered the role of a technical consultant in his own department right after retirement, but he shied away as terorrists of the state would not allow him to work in peace. He is too old to adjust to a new environment outside the state and work. There is no concept of community service in my state, in India for that matter, and he says he wants to relax now and not do anything (which worries me).

I can empathise and understand him completely but I am quite helpless. For someone who has worked in just one organization (though in different places) in a society and time tossed in babudom, government cars, quarters, peons at your disposal, tea and snacks at the ring of a calling bell and then suddenly for all this to end.

He is a doting grandpa to the kids but not someone who can stand them for long. I am worried he will become the evergreen big brother of the locality who provides free booze.

I reported back to work from yesterday and dad prepared breakfast for me. When I got up, the milk was boiled and breakfast laid out. He said he has finished his morning walk and even dropped me to the pick-up point. As always, I told him I have to run and he came running to the pick-up point along with me.

While waiting for the cab, he noticed a heat boil on my face and said, it is because I am not washing my face properly. He suggested I apply ‘No Marks’ cream and told me that he also uses it sometimes as one of his friends had advised. At 65+, my dad still believes he can have clear skin. Hope springs eternal!

23 comments:

manuscrypts said...

his life after retirement had been on your mind for quite a while now...i remember you mentioning it quite sometime back (about 3 years - http://www.manuscrypts.com/?p=150)

Arunima said...

yup, I really care for him but he is very stubborn and at times, I don't know how best to handle situations.

Nice that you remembered and took the trouble to give the link. Thanks!

Stone said...

..you can write so effortlessly ...and my fingers refuse to move when it comes writing about dad.

When I was at home, he was busy with his office & all, and after his retirement when he is at home, we all are away.

I remember your this post
http://arunima.blogspot.com/2005/08/my-daddy-bestest.html

and this one brought back hazaar memories at once.

Arunima said...

Thanks Stone. I may blog a lot about him as he is with us.

austere said...

Hmm.
Get him a subscription to Harmony magazine.
What abt net+ comp at home?

What abt Worldspace for music?

best would be stock mkt- sure keeps my Baba happy even with the downs- but I guess its regional.

Tough call, Arunima.

Pallavi said...

Reminds me of my Dad. Its always nice to have parents living with you.
When Dad was here, he would give me tips about eating the right thing at the right time.. :)

Pallavi said...

Hey also tagged you.. do check if you have the the time and inclination.

Arunima said...

@Pallavi: Would save the tag for a rainy day.

Anonymous said...

:)
are all the dads same?
even my pappa would come every day to drop me at my pick-point till this date if he is at home.

Arunima said...

@Ramya: I think that is because you are a 15 year old. My dad and brothers shadowed me everywhere at that age.

It is different once you are married and inching towards 30.

Cynic in Wonderland said...

I remember that post too! Not bad arunima - superbly memorable posts you have.

Does he have a passion? Music, travel something of the sort? Get him enrolled in that. That could be fun for him.

AmitL said...

Hi,Arunima-your Dad is surely a gem of a person..how thoughtful of him to prepare your breakfast.Hats off to him,and, a big smile even as I say 'I hope he has every success with the no marks cream'..full marks to you,though,for sharing that bit of smile-causing info with us...I always say that a person is as young or as ole as he or she feels...and,ur Dad just proves my point!!:)cheerio.

White Magpie said...

At this age, let him be. Let him do whatever he wants. All their lives, our parents hardly did what they wanted (read sacrifice). well at least most I presume. Now is the time to get out of the say unless they ask for something.

Romila said...

sweet post:)

seriously_frivolous said...

ha ha..thats a real cute way this post ended. reminds me of the time when my grand mom (who is no more now) used to watch bold and the beautiful. she used to go like..this guy was kissing some other gal yesterday..who is he kissing this one now...

Dee said...

U changed the settings!!! FINALLY...

Just commented to check if u did what u were told to.. LOL..

Pooja said...

hey Arunimaaaa, nice to know that you are back!!! how cute! Daddy at home! Will call you soon! Take care.

shub said...

:)

claytonia vices said...

Nice that you're back!

Arunima said...

@meghna: hi! nice to see you too. How is new company treating you?

vivek said...

Nice post Arunima.

Unknown said...

My dad is the same..still concerned about his skin..each time I go back home, the only things he wants is a good cream for dry skin :-)

Sonia said...

I understand this feeling completely but don't worry I am sure he will soon get used to the new way fo living and would do fine.