Sunday, April 27, 2008

My Niece again

There is a garden in every childhood, an enchanted place where colors are brighter, the air softer, and the morning more fragrant than ever again.” ~ Elizabeth Lawrence

My niece was on the phone to update me on many things. Her grandpa is planning to make her join swimming classes. He took her to some pools. She couldn’t contain her excitement and asked him to call me up. She started, grandpa bought me track pants to exercise before I swim. He also bought me a panty. Giggling I thought eh! What is this? Then I heard dad tell her it is called swimming costume.

My sis-in-law is the disciplinarian and she would insist that Ankita finish her homeworks (yes, at K.G. Children are expected to learn and know everything under the sun including Laplace’s Theorem) first before she could play. Every book had a page marked ‘Homework’. I was at home for a few days and naturally, she knew I am not going to scold her for anything. She said, “Mama, Miss asked me to do my homeworks with my Aunty”. Ha ha ha.

She just finished her exams before the summer breaks. She came back and said, “I helped someone with some answers.” Sis-in-law asked,”why so?” She replied,” How would she help me if I don’t help her first?” And this is happening at K.G.

She came to the airport to see me off. One of her friends from the neighbourhood tagged along. Among the two, she has been the one who has got more exposure and the other girl clung to her for her expert advice. Her friend asked her, “So, this is what they call India Aeroplane?” She replied, “Yes, India Manipur Aeroplane”. Don’t know what the hell they were talking about. She was the more experienced you see, and she managed to have the last word and convince her friend.

14 comments:

austere said...

Kids these days!

:)

Quite like the sound of India Manipur Aeroplane. Must go there someday.

AmitL said...

Hehe...I love such kids..brilliant dialogues..perhaps more erudite than we humans can ever make.:)

Cynic in Wonderland said...

kids say the darndest things! ( they unlike adults dont pinch reader's digest sections to post comments either)

Stone said...

:-)

aMus said...

that was delightful talk indeed!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Congrats. Just checked you blog afta a long time. Never knew the marriage was on the cards. Neway wishin you and prince charming a very very happy married life. Do call me.

--papillon

AmitL said...

Err,I meant- more erudite than we elders can ever make.:)

Anonymous said...

:D Love such kids...n such kids seem to be really cute!!

Romila said...

Cute post...liked the India Manipur Aeroplane:)

and helping each other in exams:)

DreamCatcher said...

first, CONGRATS! Thanks for visiting my page...! Yeah I know kids these days...I have one at home so I should know :)

Unknown said...

Ha ha ...your neice sounds every bit of the 'new age' child she should be!!!!!!!!!

Loved the India Manipur Aeroplane bit and I wanna take a flight on it..wherever it goes!!!

Arunima said...

@Pappilon: Thanks for the wishes. All my room mates got married and I was forced to get married due to the fear of adjusting to another new person. Why not adjust with one for life?

@Ritu: :-) I think we will reach Timbaktu if we board that flight.

claytonia vices said...

Cute! :)

Arunima, I got a 2 month old niece now and am so excited!:)

Arunima said...

@claytonia: you came to know only now is it? :-)