Friday, June 02, 2006

The mincing code- Tom Hangs

The opinions may be biased as I watched in under the influence of … well, self-cooked chicken curry. If you don’t want to read further, bottomline: Tom Hangs!!

It was a much-awaited movie and I knew no one else but Tommy would suit the role of Professor Langdon. I watched it post dinner. Not that it was heavy, 15 minutes into it and I slept like a princess and farted like a king. I changed sitting (sleeping) positions and tried again but my eyes took a decision of their own and refused to watch my favorite actor.

The next morning, fresh air and all, I tried to watch it and lo! I saw dear dear Tom all over my small screen. Started thinking why is his face too big and that he has even got freckles. If the camera had focused on his face longer, I would have started counting the lines on his face. Once in a while he looked interested as if saying to himself, “Oh hell, I am on camera and I got to be acting”. The fact is, I was distracted and I blame it on the movie. My mind wouldn’t have wandered and pondered on such trivialities had it been interesting.

I read the book even before it became a rage. I mean, I acted as if I had never heard about it from any other blogger by simply not commenting on any such blogs. So, there I was one of the earliest, who read the book and it was always a curiosity to know how could such a book be made into a movie, which would run for just a few hours?

Well, well, well on the positive side, the makers have tried to include everything within the limited time frame and done as much justice as possible but the thinking process, the solving of the puzzles couldn’t be captured as lively as the book.

Read it on the papers that teens are saddened by the fact that they cannot watch it on the theatres as it is ‘A’ certified. It is their parents’ money and they are bound to be saddened. Obviously!!

Had I watched it in a theatre, even I would have really praised the movie and brushed away any bad opinions shared by friends by saying, ”you don’t know how to watch a serious movie” simply because I would have paid 150 bucks.
I have always admired Tom as one of the most versatile actors and I have liked most of his movies but this time, all the kings’ horses and all the kings’ men, could not put my interest back again.

18 comments:

Calvin said...

even the greatest actors have a movie or two in the closet that they regret.. seems like Mr. Hanks has some too

d4u said...

Oh really..And there goes my plan for the weekend:(

Aqua said...

lol! this is one of the funniest reviews i've read of "the boring code"...as the movie is being called. one critic has written that tom hanks looks so bored in the movie...
now i know which movie to skip this weekend :)

that girl in pink said...

poor tom. i don't think i can really blame him for the movie being so bad. i mean, th screeplay, the direction...ugh!

even i was curious to see how they'd make a book like that (full of interestin little trivia) into a 90 minute movie. always thought it more as a mini-series.

on the whole, man what a disapointment!

Anonymous said...

my opinion is pretty similar to urs...of the movie and of Tom Hanks :)

have linked u up on my blogroll..hope that's alright!

Ar Ar Ar Arrrrr said...

Im not watching MI3...coz he ditched Nicole...

BAd bad....
Really realy bad!!

Nautilus said...

Wonder why Tom Hanks looks so bored...did he not read the script or did they not pay him enough? Hmmmmm...

Just wandered over...nice blog you have here :-)

Stone said...

really liked the title of the post :-)

manuscrypts said...

pun queen ..hehe :)

Shivangi Misra said...

Well, I paid the money as well, but I have to admit, i didn't like the movie one bit. For the simple reason that the book had set such high expectations! Also, the characters seemed insipid, dull. I was thrilled at the though of Hanks playing Langdon, but it just didn't work for him because the books fails to sketch strong characters. Also, for those of us who have read the book, the movie is no surprise. However, those who haven't read the book, will just NOT follow what's going on because the movie would seem complicated.

Anshuman said...

well well ... I guess I will have to wait longer, cause the movies is banned out here ... with the state governments competing at banning movies (nothing better to do!?), I might have to resort to going to another city to watch it ;)

Anonymous said...

u watched the pirated copy, so u were bound to feel that way :p

though i agree movie was not all that great, but i wonder of it was even possible to capture those details in the book, on to the screen....
my verdict - 'okay types' movie

AltFil said...

Oh boy, am I glad I haven't watched it yet :-)

Tom Hangs, indeed...the sooner the better :-)

Ar Ar Ar Arrrrr said...

Arunima wapas gayab??

:O :O :O

Arunima said...

@dubbs das: why have you not shared your blog with the public? wanted to read you.

Anyway, thanks for visiting and leaving your comments.

Chander Dogra said...

Just like you read the book long back in one of those train journey, had absolutely no idea that it was such a big hit. A nice novel, where different facts have been presented together to make a story. Well me and one of my friend braved to see the movie in theatre, first day first show, thankfully the Karnartaka goverment didn't ban it.
And the surprise was we really liked it. Whole of the movie we were discuusing the movie viz a vi the novel, and specially loved that part of the Last Supper....

What to say, sometimes i believe its not the movie which makes you feel good after watching the movie, it perhaps the people whom you see it with ....

But then beauty lies in the eye of the beholder, so each to his own, break your own code

Pallavi said...

Hmmm I looked at it in a different light.. I think..

Anonymous said...

This is my first visit here, but I will be back soon, because I really like the way you are writing, it is so simple and honest